Monday, January 19, 2009

Superbowl XLII - Eat like a Steeler

When I was a wee little thing I overheard adults talking about a Superbowl Party. I had no idea what such an event entailed, but if there was a party, I was pretty sure I should be invited. I asked said adults if there was, indeed, bowling to look forward to at said party. Despite the heckling that ensued, I attended and greatly enjoyed my first Superbowl Party that year, and have reveled in them ever since.

Although I have always been disappointed there's never any bowling involved.

So it looks like the Steelers and Cardinals are to face off in Superbowl XLII. (While I rather dislike the Steelers, I'm quite pleased that 37-year-old Kurt Warner and the Cardinals have rallied to make it this far. I love this sort of comeback story: this is what sports are all about!)

I'm perusing some books from Pennsylvania and Arizona. While FRP hasn't published anything out of Pittsburgh (Steelers...don't take my distaste for your team personally...we're totally game to do a cookbook of all Roethlisberger's favorites if you are...), we do have a couple of books from the state, including the Main Line Classics....so I'm putting together a little Superbowl Party Spread for each team.



We'll start with a Steeler's Menu. From the looks of things...they eat rather hearty...


For beverages, the Football Punch in Entertaining Thoughts (JL of the Lehigh Valley) and the Beer Margaritas in Main Line Entertains (Saturday Club) sound like fun times...the Beer Margaritas are a fascinating concept: like a 2-for-1....delicious.


For snacky-snacks, I'd whip up the following:

- Bambini (Main Line Classics)

- Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Spears (Main Line Entertains...sound fancy but are really easy)

- Greek Six Layer Dip (Main Line Entertains)

- Spicy Sausage Bites (Entertaining Thoughts)

- Pesto Cheescake (Entertaining Thoughts)

I'll list a couple of the recipes in-full...shoot me an e-mail if you want the others that I haven't listed....OR....just get a copy of these cookbooks for keeps at The Cookbook Marketplace. They're all great for home cooking and entertaining and offer a hefty taste of Pennsylvania.

Beer Margaritas
Ingredients
Juice of 2 limes
Margarita salt
2 Corona beers, chilled
1/2 cup good quality tequila
1/2 cup thawed frozen limeade concentrate
Lime wedges (garnish)

Directions
Moisten the rim of 4 margarita glasses with the lime juice and press into salt to coat. Mix the beers, tequila and limeade concentrate in a pitcher. Pour into the glasses and garnish each with a lime wedge.
Serves 4


Spicy Sausage Bites
Ingredients
2 pounds spicy sausage
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup chili sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Directions
1.) Combine the sausage, beaten egg, bread crumbs and sage in a large bowl and mix until well blended. Shape into 48 +/- balls. Brown the sausage balls in a large skillet over high heat. Remove from heat and drain.
2.) Combine the ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce in a bowl and mix well. Pour over the sausage balls.
3.) Simmer, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes. You may also place in a covered baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

*You could also make ahead and simmer in a crock pot....would be transportable if you're going to a party too....
***You could also add a bunch of minced garlic to the meat balls to really spice these up...can't ever have too much garlic....

No comments: