Monday, March 31, 2008

Beautifully Versatile Casseroles

I love great casserole recipes that allow you to whip together a delicious dish for a week's worth of dinners, or create a crowd-pleaser for any sort of function.

Two Thanksgiving ago, I was celebrating the holiday at some friends' in Baton Rouge, LA. Of course, everything I ate that day was amazing. The family was one of those long-established crews with strong Italian heritage, so just imagine how those people could cook.

One dish that has stuck out in my mind and my cravings was a casserole that had asparagus and eggs - surprisingly simple and DELICIOUS.

I've been in search of a similar recipe ever since. I just stumbled across this one from Furniture City Feasts, a collection of recipes from the Junior League of High Point, N.C.

I'm not sure if anyone knows the ways of those Italian Cajun cooks who shared their Thanksgiving with me in 2005, but I sure was excited to find this recipe. Coming from another state full of great cuisine and cooks, it's certainly worth a try!

Asparagus Casserole

ingredients
1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
3 tablespoons (or more) milk
1 (15-ounce) can asparagus, drained
1 (16-ounce) can English peas, drained
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
Chopped almonds or crushed cheese crackers

directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Combine the soup and milk in a bowl and stir until the mixture is of a thick sauce consistency, adding additional milk if necessary. Add the asparagus and peas and mix well. Spoon the mixture into a baking dish. Top with the eggs and sprinkle with almonds or cheese crackers. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly.

Serves 6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love casseroles too - one of my favorite books for finding great casseroles is Favorite Recipes of Home Economic Teachers: Casseroles. Over 2,000 recipes in this classic cookbook. You can find it at www.cookbookmarketplace.com