Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Recipe to Run On

I love to run.

You might say, I'm addicted.


Most runners are like this though, and I've heard a lot of runners talk about how strongly they'll feel their body craving a certain kind of food.


Lately, I've been craving carbs. It's a weird sensation (okay, not really that weird - who doesn't love bread.) It's just weird because I wish my body always communicated so clearly to me: EAT BREAD NOW. STOP EATING. EAT RED MEAT, YOU NEED PROTEIN - moreover - I wish I would listen!


Regardless, I've been craving carbs, so I found a recipe called "Good for What Aiolis You" from Toast to Tidewater, an award-winning cookbook from the Junior League of Norfolk-Virginia Beach.

I selected this particular pasta dish as I know there are many health benefits of eating garlic, including fighting breast cancer. Plus, a bunch of pasta drenched in olive oil and spicy garlic just sounded really good.
This recipe calls for 2 heads of garlic to be cooked in olive oil for about 45 minutes.
It's important to note here that 2 heads of roasted garlic cloves to 16 ounces of bowtie pasta is a heck of a lot of garlic. It's also important to note that my apartment is about the size of a closet. Vampires, bats, dogs, normal human beings with any sense of smell, and cute boys are likely to stay away from the place forever.
Now I know why this recipe has been a winner every year at the Virginia Wine & Garlic Festival.
As this recipe serves 8, it may have not been the best choice to prepare in my small living quarters anyway, as my apartment barely fits two people. Regardless, the pasta turned out delicious and I'm forever cured of evil demons and hopefully one ongoing step closer to better health.
So here's the recipe:
Good for What Aioli's You
ingredients
- 2 heads of garlic (seriously)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in water for 30 minutes, or 3 ounces fresh porcini mushrooms (these mushrooms really set off the garlic and pasta...soooo good)
- 16 ounces bowtie pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup white wine (yes, please)
- 1 tablespoon butter, ice cold, cut into pieces
- 5 basil leaves, thinly sliced
directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice off top half of garlic heads
- Place garlic heads in a small ovenproof dish and pour 2 tablespoons olive oil over tops; sprinkle garlic heads with salt and pepper
- Cover and roast garlic heads in 350 degree oven until golden, approximately 45 minutes
- Cool roasted garlic and remove peel
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet
- Mix in onion and cover skillet; cook slowly over low heat to caramelize, stirring occasionally for approximately 30-45 minutes
- Uncover skillet and finish onions to a deep caramel color over medium heat
- While onions are cooking, prepare bowtie pasta
- Stir drained mushrooms into caramelized onions and cook for five minutes
- Add roasted garlic cloves; cook for five minutes
- Pour white wine into pan and cook, scraping bottom of pan to loosen any food particles
- Stir and boil for one minute; remove from heat
- Stir in butter
- Stir cooked bowtie pasta into hot garlic and mushroom sauce; toss to combine
- Serve garnished with slices of basil.
MAKES 8.

No comments: