Thursday, May 22, 2008

go to the garden....


"Go grab me some rosemary out of the garden."



While I should have added "please," that was the request I made last night while I was throwing together my impromptu version of Garlic Rosemary Chicken.





This quick poultry dish was one of my first attempts to throw something together to share with someone else. While I've always been content with my quick cooking attempts, I also admit I usually just add lots of ketchup and Tabasco to whatever it is I'm eating. The result: simply delicious...according to my taste buds anyway.


So I felt a little boost of confidence that adding fresh herbs and plenty of garlic would be a surefire way to make quick chicken taste good.
Also, there was something very pleasing to be able to step right outside (or send a cute man outside) to the garden to get those fresh herbs.




The chicken didn't taste too bad (I didn't even need any ketchup). Although the following recipe for Chicken Rosemary from the Junior League of Roanoke Valley's cookbook, Oh My Stars!, appears to be a much more flavorful version of what I attempted last night.




It requires a little planning ahead for the marinating, but you're likely to have the ingredients on-hand. And if you don't have the fresh rosemary planted in the backyard, get your herb garden in this afternoon! Trust me - there's something wonderful about going to your own garden...






Chicken Rosemary


ingredients


- 1 (16-ounce) bottle Italian salad dressing (use low-fat to cut unnecessary calories)


- 1/2 cup white wine


- 1/4 cup soy sauce


- 1/4 cup (heaping) brown sugar


- 2 to 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary


- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper


- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts




directions


- Combine the salad dressing with the wine, soy sauce, brown sugar, rosemary and pepper in a sealable plastic bag. Add the chicken, shake it [like a Polaroid picture], coating well.


- Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 to 48 hours, mixing occasionally.


- Remove from the marinade and grill the chicken until done, to taste.


Serves eight.





1 comment:

ateacher said...

A: Love reading your blog. We are building a garden outside the classroom. Got a grant and so far have the posts in to build a fence. Weather hasn't exactly cooperated--rain, rain, snow, rain, rain, snow. We'll have herbs, flowers, butterfly section, and one section that will represent an old homestead flower garden. We've been making and selling lunches on Fridays to pay for outdoor school, the garden, and field trips. Now we'll be able to ask someone to go get us some rosemary, sage, etc. Stop by when you're home, and tell any teachers you meet to garden with their kids.

A the Elder, from the Old School