Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I Need Coffee




A beautiful, sunny Tuesday morning. Regardless, I could so use another pot of coffee about now.

Actually, I don't even need the actual coffee - just the buzz you get from it.
I always hit the gym in the mornings - most days it perks me up and gets me going - I get a little runner's high and then down a couple cups of coffee - then am set for the rest of the day.



There are days like this, though, when I just can't get going - and for no particular reason either! It's not as if I earned it by playing hard last night. Am just tired - aren't we all?



Passion for Coffee is a cookbook that has 204 recipes that all call for coffee. I don't wonder if I maybe infused my breakfast with some java as well, then maybe I'd be a little more perky.
Some of the breakfast recipes, like the Coffee Belgian Waffles with Caramel Coffee Sauce, or the Coffee Whole-Wheat Pancakes with Cranberry Sauce (YUM!) sound like they'd hit the spot on a morning like this.

Of course, I'd still have to drink one more stout Americano to really get me rolling. When will they put a good coffee shop near my office!?!

Here's one of those delectable breakfast recipes from Passion for Coffee. Go to http://www.coffeecooks.com/ to check out more recipes from Passion for Coffee, and to read some excerpts about people who live on Colombian coffee plantations and the history of coffee, as well as learn how to cook with it.


Coffee Whole-Wheat Pancakes with Cranberry Sauce




ingredients


- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour


- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries


- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar


- 1 teaspoon freeze-dried or granulated instant coffee


- 1 teaspoon baking powder


- 1/4 teaspoon salt


- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted


- 1 egg


- 1/2 cup milk


- 1 recipe cranberry sauce




directions


1.) Place the flour, cranberries, brown sugar, coffee, baking powder and salt into a small bowl. Mix with a fork.


2.) Add the butter, egg, and milk and mix gently with a fork until the batter looks smooth.


3.) Place a 6-inch nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Spray with nonstick spray.


4.) Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and cook until golden brown, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Turn and cook for 20 seconds more, until golden on the second side. (The Second side takes less time.)


5. Serve pancakes warm, topped with the cranberry sauce.






Cranberry Sauce


ingredients


- 1/4 cup evaporated milk


- 1/4 cup heavy cream


- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar


- 3 tablespoons chopped, toasted pecans (toasted optional)


- 2 tablespoons cranberries, dried


- 1 tablespoon brewed espresso or basic concentrated coffee


- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract




directions


1.) Combine the evaporated milk, cream, sugar, pecans, and cranberries in a saucepan over medium heat.


2.) Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden.


3.) Add the coffee and vanilla extract and stir to blend. Serve warm.

No comments: